Monday

I dream of ice, among other things...

I often wonder what kind of world my dreams really talk about. The dreams themselves seem real enough, as if my mind had been placed in some other body and allowed to view a moment or a day. I ask: does my mind have this incredible gift for working out painfully odd details, such as the lunar atmosphere heavily laced with xenon gas, or the odd little wooden structures lived in by Martian colonists. At the time I didn’t know that xenon could be used to add weight to a lunar atmosphere – I had to read up on xenon afterwards to understand what I was dreaming about. And those little dried houses looked so out of place on Mars they would have been more appropriate on some little back wood trail somewhere.

Some dreams seem to me to take place in the distant past and some far in the future. In one dream years in the future on the North American continent no one remembers the United States of America.

So what do my dreams (if they can be believed) say happens?

First we have an ice age. In Canada, I am a red haired businessman of normal height getting off a train onto a platform. I look around at the poured concrete and think to myself: “This was made in the 20th Century”. As if it is some old and exotic age. I have a khaki colored raincoat on like the London Fog raincoats popular a few years ago; I’m wearing a suit or sport coat and a tie with a white shirt. Police are handing out clear plastic rain coats at a table near me, and I look back at the train and see a very strange train because it has cork screw like threads around it’s cylindrical cars. Designed to go through ice and snow which there is plenty of as I look around.

For those of you unfamiliar with global warming scenarios, and I was not when I had the dream, some of them involve an ice age.

Mountain Village Cobblestone Streets

Imagine a village in the mountains somewhere.  Cobblestone streets, so I'm thinking Europe. It's hilly, and the street is narrow. ...