Saturday

a different kind of moon

It is a cold winter night and a small amount of ice is on the ground. Trees limbs are bare on a side street in a hilly campus area with wide lawns covered with dead grass.

I am the only person walking down a sidewalk beside rows of parked cars. The streets seem abandoned and I pull my long tweed coat closer against the cold.

When I look up into the night sky there is a bright blue world the color of a gas flame surrounded by a deep blue corona where I expect to see the moon. Uranus, perhaps?

I look across the lawn at a large brick building. It groans as it begins to lose it's grip on it's foundation. It pauses a moment as if taking stock and begins to slowly rise.

Other things begin to lose their mooring as the great world above us swings by in orbit - rocks, cars - the earth itself and I desperate and clinging to a tree feel myself falling in the direction of the sky.

Mountain Village Cobblestone Streets

Imagine a village in the mountains somewhere.  Cobblestone streets, so I'm thinking Europe. It's hilly, and the street is narrow. ...