Tuesday

civilization above the clouds

I was dreaming that human civilization lives above the clouds in various structures in a low earth orbit. None of these structures resembles what we think of as "space stations" today. They are well within the magnetic field of Earth and therefore protected against various solar depredations.

I dreamed that I was participating in organizing the logistics for the move from low earth orbit to the asteroid belt. At the time I was also dreaming that I could look up into the sky and see what people were living in, sometimes I was looking down from those structures.

In context with other dreams, the moon is settled by then, and Mars as well.

When I dreamed about a field trip to the moon the person giving the tour as we stepped out onto the surface said that much of the (unbreathable) atmosphere came from regolith processing. Why regolith processing?

Back then there was no good reason that I knew of to invest in the moon, and there was nothing valuable in lunar regolith, but now we know that it has fuel for fusion reactors in quantity.

I would imagine that there will be a reason to move to the asteroid belt when the time comes, but we may have to wait a few centuries to find it out.

Mountain Village Cobblestone Streets

Imagine a village in the mountains somewhere.  Cobblestone streets, so I'm thinking Europe. It's hilly, and the street is narrow. ...