Tuesday

field trip

I think it was a field trip, because it was a visit to the moon and I was trying to decide if I wanted to live there or on Mars.

When I thought of Mars, I thought of a place that was like a high altitude region of Earth. Thin atmosphere, like living in Denver; red earth and mountains.

I imagined the steep red mountains. clouds and dark blue sky of Mars.

I was inside an area of a large building that looked, if not industrial then public or institutional. The walls were concrete, as was the floor and painted white. The floor was an institutional gray. There was a metal stairway. I and some others were shown into an air lock, and given little air masks and small canisters of air. We were told not to breathe the air outside.

We had a question and answer session and we asked about the atmosphere, where it came from and what it had in it. It had some oxygen but was unbreathable. There was some Xenon in it. It was largely heavy gasses - so it would stay on the moon.

It would be chilly outside, I was wearing a light red windbreaker. The clothing was just like the stuff we wear today.

The door/airlock was large, oval shaped and looked heavy.

It was night, and we stepped out on a flat gray surface and walked around. I looked up at the stars and noticed that the sky was black and the stars shone steadily. It was a little discomforting and I decided right there that Mars would suite me better. At least it had a blue sky.

Mountain Village Cobblestone Streets

Imagine a village in the mountains somewhere.  Cobblestone streets, so I'm thinking Europe. It's hilly, and the street is narrow. ...