Tuesday

a retrospective on peculiar dreams

I was much surprised, to find myself standing on the moon and asking myself as I looked up at that black sky, "could I really stand living here?"

At one time I was an enthusiast for living in space, but aside from reading a little about Lagrange points, I didn't know very much about it.

Why would anyone want to live above the sky?

I would imagine my interest in the topic was the impetus for the dreams.

Space stations, aliens, and nasty aliens have been in my dreams for quite some time.

Although contact with some aliens was neutral. For example, there is an instance where an alien ship has crashed, and I dreamed I was one of the contemporary scientists trying to communicate with it. I remember interviewing it in the open air, we didn't know what to feed him so we gave him graham crackers soaked in milk. He seemed like a he.

We were able to converse, and he was quite critical of the human race, although I don't remember the details. He was quite large, as though a great bald fat man with a rough orange hide were sitting comfortably in the shade.

I wasn't aware of his ultimate disposition.

I find it strange that my dreams are as detailed and seemingly correct in their interpretation of what living on the moon and in space would be like.

On what was a ride on a light rail system over an urban landscape, it seemed much like a ride on the BART on a sunny day. Except that the houses were constructed differently specifically not to admit much sunlight.

In the dream my mind was on the fact that air was a utility that had to be piped to the house like cooking gas.

The sun was much brighter than I had imagined it could be. Sunlight on the moon is not conditioned and filtered as sunlight is on earth. More than a sunburns' worth of radiation.

On the train ride I did not look up to see the sky, but the landscape was so bright and interesting that I kept my eye on that. On a sunny day (every "day") the moon is extremely bright, I was actually shocked by it when I woke up. I had for some unknown reason not expected such light on the lunar surface.

I had two dreams about the moon, and I'm not sure which came first because the second one (the one with the train) seemed to have no atmosphere. And the first one had a heavy gas atmosphere which included xenon.

Who said dreams are sensible?

The "space stations" looked much more practical than the ones you see either on TV or in science fiction movies, or the ones I read about in grade school. Imagine a core tubular geodesic framework with large pods hung off it at intervals, and the whole thing rotated for gravity. Want to add more living space, extend the core geodesic and add some more pods.

The real evaluation can only take place as the centuries click by, unless things move much faster than I can imagine which is very possible.

u3C

Mountain Village Cobblestone Streets

Imagine a village in the mountains somewhere.  Cobblestone streets, so I'm thinking Europe. It's hilly, and the street is narrow. ...